Welcome



This is my tennis blog, Lefty Advantage. Tennis is my biggest passion in life and I started this site to discuss the great game. I mainly follow the career of Roger Federer, but I truly love watching all tennis, whether it be the final of a Grand Slam
or a junior tournament on the other side of the world.

I have played tennis for 13 years. If you ever met me, I could talk your head off about all things tennis for hours on end if you would let me. Welcome, and enjoy the writing!

Friday, November 04, 2011

Basel SF Preview

Just a quick update:

Federer got through Andy Roddick 63 62 in one of his most comfortable wins against Andy (and of course there have been many of them).  I didn't see the match but I read that Andy was not having a good serving day and against Roger, that puts any chances Andy has to bed right away.  Hell, even when Andy is serving well, he has trouble against Fed's brick wall returning style.  Anyways, it seems as if Roger's three-set victory over Nieminen was exactly what he needed - I have always said that a good tough match to get through is the best thing for a tennis player's mind as it gives them added confidence going into the next match that they can pull through should they face a tough situation.  With Roger, we have seen this time and time again.  Against Cilic in the 3rd round of the US Open, vs Davydenko in the Australian Open 2010 Quarterfinals, against Haas and Del Potro at the French 2009, against Andreev in the 4th round at the US Open 2008, against Tipsarevic in Australia 2008...the list really goes on and on.  Roger just feeds off tough matches and it helps him better prepare himself for the tougher rounds in the final weekends.

On that same side, Stan Wawrinka got through easily against Florian Mayer with a 62 62 score.  He looks to be in great form but facing Roger is always a challenge.  Nevertheless, I expect a close match, and both Roger and Stan will want to put on the best show for the Swiss fans.

On the other side, Djokovic got through Baghdatis in a tough three-set encounter.  He plays Nishikori in the semis so that should be an easier match for sure, leading him to the finals against a likely opponent in Roger.  I believe Roger will have a good chance of beating Djokovic as Novak hasn't looked very sharp this week at all, and Roger only seems to be getting better with each passing match.  It would definitely be a huge confidence boost if Roger could get a win over Djokovic for the second time this year - a feat nobody else has accomplished may I remind - and it would certainly give Roger momentum heading into Paris and the World Tour finals.

Looking forward to a great weekend in Basel, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment