Welcome



This is my tennis blog, Lefty Advantage. Tennis is my biggest passion in life and I started this site to discuss the great game. I mainly follow the career of Roger Federer, but I truly love watching all tennis, whether it be the final of a Grand Slam
or a junior tournament on the other side of the world.

I have played tennis for 13 years. If you ever met me, I could talk your head off about all things tennis for hours on end if you would let me. Welcome, and enjoy the writing!

Monday, August 29, 2011

2011 US Open Preview



Well, the US Open, the final Grand Slam of the year, is here, starting today.  I am a bit late in previewing this draw of the top 4, but better late than never, and this is as late as I can go because I am going camping for a week today.

Roger Federer

The great Mr. Fed has been given a tough draw, starting with the potential meeting of Thomaz Bellucci in the 2nd round, who is a big hitting dangerous lefty.  Bernard Tomic, Marin Cilic, or Ryan Harrison in the 3rd round.  In the 4th round, Troicki, Stepanek, and Kohlscreiber come up as possible opponents.  And then, of course, the daunting quarterfinal that may feature a match with Tsonga or Fish.  And then if he gets by all that, Djokovic.  What a wonderful draw to be given.

However, in saying that, this draw isn't as bad as many are making it out to be.  Sure it will be difficult but that hardly phases Fed these days.  Throughout his entire career he has always risen to the occasion - my three memories of that being the Australian Open 2006, US Open 2008, and of course the magical French of 2009.  If you look at it logically, Roger should beat Bellucci in straights, and should beat Tomic, Cilic, or Harrison in three tough sets, if he is on his game.  A 4th round encounter with Troicki, Stepanek, or Kohl should only be worrisome if RF is not at his best, but even then he will probably still find a way to win.  In the quarters, a match with Fish would be far easier than Tsonga, but still tough nonetheless.  So you see, if Roger is playing well like he should, then he most certainly has the chance to meet Nole in the semis for a 4th straight year (that would be really ridiculous to be honest).  I'm hoping for the best and if Roger gets through I will be so dang happy.

Novak Djokovic

Nole has a pretty manageable draw, although you never know at this stage of great run this year when he might tire out and give a guy like Berdych, Monfils, Gasquet, or even Dolgopolov a ray of hope that they can beat him.  Last year Troicki should have beaten him and I could see a guy upsetting Nole too if it all matches up right.  Djoker is the top dog now and everybody wants to say they beat him. 

Rafael Nadal

Let's face it, Rafa has a sweet draw, as ALWAYS (damn ATP!), but with the way he has been playing this summer literally anything is possible.  There are many holes in his game right now and he can be exposed.  I really don't see him making it past the quarters, where he could either face Ferrer or Roddick.  Yes, Roddick.  Andy may be in the twilight of his pretty disappointing career (thanks to an elegant Swiss man), but this is New York and Andy always gets motivated for the US Open.  If Rafa isn't returning well and is moving slowly, Roddick, even now, could give him a match.  If John Freaking Isner could take a 2 sets to 1 lead in the 1st round of the French vs Nadal, surely Roddick can do the same, no?  Anyways, I don't expect a trip to the final 4 for Rafa.

Andy Murray

Murray could have some problems early on with Robin Haase and Feliciano Lopez, but I have come to expect little of opponents that should give Muzzhead problems.  They usually don't.  A 4th round match with Wawrinka would be the best match of the first week given the history they have from last year.  I for one want to see that.  A QF with big hitters Soderling, Isner, or Delpo would be fun, but hopefully he doesn't have to face Gilles the Pusher, which would be extremely boring to watch.  Overall, I expect Murray to make the final with the draw he has and with my prediction that Nadal won't make it to the semifinals to give Andy any headcases.

Well, there you go.  I finally got my preview written, and just in time for the US Open.  Now that Hurricane Irene has seemingly passed New York, let's have a great two weeks of tennis with some great matches and unbelievable shots (Roger, I'm looking at you).  I may or may not write again before the week is out, it will depend on my ability to access the internet while I'm off camping.  Anyways, enjoy the tennis!

Final prediction:  Roger Federer over Andy Murray in four sets.




No comments:

Post a Comment